Wednesday, March 12, 2014

No Smoking Day!

This year will be me and the hubs 10 year "anniversary" of being together (we'll be married 7 years in April).  This year will also be the five year anniversary of me quitting smoking!  Woooo Hooo!!  Actually, come to think of it - those two anniversaries that I just wrote about will fall on the exact day. I smoked for 12 years and quit when I was 28. That's a long time!  Seriously, I was just a few years shy of smoking half of my life.  

Anyways - back to where I was going with this.  I tried to quit a few times before but this last time worked because I was just over it.  That's the winning ingredient - being over it.  You can't quit unless you are 1,000% ready to.  When I think of it now, I almost can't believe that I even started.  When you first smoke, your body tries to reject the smoke by making you damn near cough out your lungs.  The first two or three times I smoked I had to lay down for 30 minutes each time because the cigarette gave me such a stomach ache.  What did I do the next day?  I smoked another one. First if you don't succeed, try and try again!  I was such an idiot.  I wanted to be with the "in" kids.  What?  Everyone was doing it. 

This wasn't the last time I was 'peer-pressured' into something.  I was peer-pressured into getting my nose pierced.  Yeah, let's talk about it.  I was with some friends and we stopped by this guy's piercing shop and he had all the nose piercing paraphernalia ready to go - then the chick backed out at the last minute.  Since everything was sterilized and ready to be punched out I got it done for free - and it hurt.  Eyes watered like crazy, nose got swollen - I kept on accidentally rubbing it because my hands have a mind of their own and they would grab my nostril curious of why it hurt...then it'd hurt worse.  Stupid hands.  I actually think my nose piercing is super cute and I will probably keep it forever.  Can you picture it?  80 year old Amber rocking a nose stud!

Since my fingers obviously have ADD, let’s go back to the original message of this posting.  Smoking - or the contrary - NOT smoking.  Today is No Smoking Day...in the UK.  I think this is an awesome campaign and the US should totally follow suit and have a day dedicated to it.  Or shit, go back to those creepy as commercials of all of the people pretending to be dead outside of Phillip Morris, Inc - representing how many people are killed annually from smoking. 

Support our British neighbors across the pond and put out your 'fags'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment